Modern Foreign Language - French
MFL French - Curriculum Information
At St James’ we believe that the teaching of a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. The focus language taught in school is French and we use the Kapow Scheme of Learning across all year groups.
• To foster an interest in language learning by introducing children to another language in
a way that is enjoyable and accessible to all pupils;
• To stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language and creativity in
experimenting with it;
• To support oracy and literacy, and in particular develop speaking and listening skills;
• To help children develop their awareness of cultural similarities and differences;
• To lay the foundations for future language study by pupils;
• To give an extra dimension to teaching and learning across the curriculum.
All children in school have access to Duolingo. This web-based app is accessed using their own iPad and provides the pupils with extra opportunities to repeat their vocabulary skills.